Thursday, July 11, 2013

10 states 5 days

Driving across the county was no joke. I left San Diego Friday evening and had arrived in South Carolina by Sunday evening. It was a marathon of a drive to say the least. All day I didn't now how to feel. I thought I would have definitive feelings by the time I was actually leaving. But on Friday I didn't really feel anything. I knew that I was nervous and excited to try something new and I knew that I was ready to be out of San Diego. But that was it.

I had loaded the Volvo to the brim and was ready to hit the road early on Friday. I spaced bagged all of my clothes and good thing I did because the bags took up almost my entire trunk. I didn't know I had kept that much of my clothes. I said before I got rid of a BUNCH of stuff. I was able to also fit all of my shoes in there. The trunk was at capacity with just that stuff. I was also able to fill the backseat with stuff. Both pieces of my luggage set were full with miscellaneous items from  my old room or toiletries that needed to make the trip too. Again I didn't know I had so much stuff. 

The plan was for mom to drive through the night while I slept and I would take the morning shift and drive until I was ready to stop. I cried almost the whole way to Arizona. The emotions were just so crazy once we were actually driving. I was not ready for any of it. I wasn't able to sleep like I planned that night. I probably caught just over an hour of sleep by the time it was my turn to drive. We were a good way through New Mexico when I took over. I was able to make it to Midland Texas before I was done.It was the middle of the day and I was exhausted. Texas is a LONG and boring drive. The best part about that long and boring interstate is that the speed limit is 80MPH for most of it. We stopped and got a hotel basically just to take a nap. By the time we were settled in and grabbed something to eat we had about five hours to nap before we hit the road again. 

We left about eleven pm from Midland and were out of Texas just after sunrise. Again it was just a lot of open and boring freeway. We had about 20 hours to go from Midland and the plan was to just try and drive all the way through. Louisiana was such a welcome change of scenery and so different compared to Texas. Mississippi was probably my favorites state to pass through. I don't know what it was about it but I loved the look of it. Alabama was the only state that we had a problem in. We got a flat tire on the side of the freeway. It was middle of the day, super hot and sticky. We are more than capable of changing  a tire and had the blown one off already when a man stopped to help. And what are the chances that a man from San Diego stopped to help us while in Alabama. I couldn't believe it when he told us. Luckily we were one exit from a tire shop. The whole ordeal only set us back about an hour. We were about five hours away and even though all I wanted was a shower and to sleep I wanted to be home already. I decided to just power through it. I think my excitement and adrenaline were the only thing that helped me get through those last hours. 

The drive was insane but I would do it again for sure. I would make sure to take three days and get a little more rest. It would be nice to have stopped and seen some sights. Or just taken a little more time to get through. But it was fun and an experience I wouldn't change for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment